My Weekend Project: Subway Tile

2.27.2009

I went home last weekend to visit my family in Mississippi. I had mentioned to my dad about wanting to do white 3x6 subway tile on my backsplash in my kitchen. When he came to install my granite countertops a couple of years ago- we didn't do a backsplash because of the layout of my upper cabinets. My kitchen is an L-shape- but on one part of the L- there are no upper cabinets, so we had no where to transition a backsplash tile. But after seeing this photo- I have decided to tile the entire wall behind my sink (even though I have no windows on that wall):
..
He went out in his warehouse (fyi... he owns a flooring store) and found just what I needed. Five boxes of 3x6 white subway tile, thinset, grout, trowel. And a friend has a tile saw that I am going to borrow... so this weekend I plan to tackle this {free} project.
.
Here are some other photos that inspired me:
.





.
*first photo via Garden & Gun, all others via House Beautiful
Have a great weekend! Check back for photos from this project that I plan to tackle- I hope it turns out!

14 comments:

paula said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see the finished tile. I too still need to tile our backsplash. One day soon I hope.

Haven and Home said...

I can't wait to see it. Please let me know how it is going over the weekend!

www.underagreenroof.blogspot.com said...

Very good luck! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Paloma {La Dolce Vita} said...

How exciting! You should post before and after pictures.

Chris said...

I did my backsplash a few years back , it was my first tile job , it a good one to try , removing the excess grout is the toughest part , good luck with it .
I even went on to tile an entire wall in my children's bathroom .

Stephanie Sabbe said...

I've been 100% addicted to subway tile since I graduated school. I used it in a loft project I did, and then in my own kitchen and bathroom. I love it, it's timeless and can go modern of traditional. Post pictures when you're done:)

Kara said...

YAY!!! I can't WAIT to see how it turns out...definitely post pics. Thank you so much for your support of my new blog! It means so much to me, it really does. Feel free to use Mary Scott as a baby name!!! I think it's the perfect girl name; it has staying power with just the right amount of femininity and edge. Keep reading...I have so many things to blog about now! :)
Have a beautiful weekend!!!

LindsB said...

I love weekend projects, and I love free weekend projects even more!!

I cant wait to see how your kitchen turns out- Its going to be beautiful!!

Jennifer said...

love tile up to the ceiling! after you've finished, want to come finish the tile in our shower? :)

doug said...

we're tiling an entire kitchen in white Cararra marble subway tile right now--I love this idea!

mimi3401 said...

I'll be waiting for the pictures.

No.35style said...

how nice is that, free tile! love haskell's kitchen.

alice said...

Adore subway tile... I think the one hood that is tiled is particularly interesting... though all these kitchens are beautiful!

maruf hosen said...

Nice article and great knowledge. Thanks for the share. I love this story and enjoy with your words!
subway tile

Post a Comment