Tablescape on a Budget

11.17.2009

A couple of weeks ago- we had a Ladies' Night Out at my church. Each community group was in charge of providing a "Holiday Table" for the night. And guess who was nominated by my class? I knew I had to come up with something practical (and on a budget). I decided to take advantage of the magnolia tree in my front yard.

Each tablescape was uniquely different. Several tables were set up as if for a sit down dinner. But I wanted to set one up as if I was serving food at a party (since my house isn't large enough to host a sit down dinner).

Disclaimer: Please excuse the quality of the photos. And please excuse the band equipment in the background. My table was set up in the front of the fellowship hall--- and was pushed up against the stage.

A few details:
I covered the round table in burlap and attached magnolia branches using safety pins around the perimeter.
.
I made 'magnolia trees' for the center using styrofoam cones and pinning on magnolia leaves with straight pins. At first- I misted the trees with a metallic spray paint. But wasn't happy with the result so I redid them and left them natural.

I wanted to keep everything simple--- so I used my pottery from Mississippi (McCarty) and kept to the brown and white scheme.
.
An upclose detail- moss covered wreaths attached with a pretty ribbon. I took small grapevine wreaths and hotglued moss onto them and attached them with a ribbon to a class canister. All supplies were from Hobby Lobby except candles and canisters were from The Dollar Tree.
.

And that's it. A simple, budget-friendly tablescape for the holidays. Just thought I would share in case anyone was needing any ideas of how to decorate on a budget for the holidays.
.
*And a special thank you to my sweet friend, Sidney, for posting my Christmas cards on her blog yesterday. If you haven't already checked out her blog- head on over. It's so great!

17 comments:

Laura Trevey said...

Magnolia leaves a perfect!!!
They are beautiful in rich color, and they cover a large area!!

xoxo Laura

etalbert715 said...

So elegant, too! Am definitely going to keep this in mind... thanks for sharing Sid!

Ms. Bright said...

I love using Magnolia leaves at Christmas. It's a perfect nod to our local flavor! You did a great job!!

Haven and Home said...

Magnolia and McCarty? PERFECT!!!!!

paula said...

brooke! it is gorgeous.

Katie said...

fun! love the mccarty!

doug said...

looks really good! I never doubted it would...

Alphabet Designs said...

Oh my gosh- our world keeps getting smaller. I was at this and had no idea you did that table! It was so pretty. Wish I had know- we have got to chat!!!
Carrie

LindsB said...

Love using natural green leaves for decorations, the Magnolia is beautiful!

Lauren said...

Oh my gosh that magnolia garland is just insane!! It's so beautiful - I LOVE IT!!! MY neighbor has this HUGE magnolia tree & I'm so jealous & always find myself wanting to take flowers or leaves from it. NOW IT'S WORSE!!!!!! what a brilliant idea!!

xoxo

Found Studio said...

wowwwww that magnolia garland is AMAZING!! great idea!

Kathleen Benefield said...

you can take a girl out of Mississippi....

megan said...

fabulous job!

Sidney said...

Love the tablescape ideas!! I might have to come borrow some magnolia leaves for my Christmas decorations :)

Thanks for the shout out!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

So pretty. I wish I had a magnolia tree in my yard. I'm going to scout my neighbors to see if anyone has any to snag some branches.

Southern Aspirations said...

LOVE Magnolia tree leaves in Christmas decor. Great tablescape!!

urbansardines said...

I love, love, love the magnolias! We had a big Magnolia tree in our backyard when I was growing up, and I still miss it! Love the little mossy wreath, too.

Post a Comment