Collins, Hiatus, & Pillow Help

8.02.2010

I haven't blogged in a few days and am wanting to. I just don't know what to blog about. So I thought I would share a few things that are going on in my life.
.
1. My sister is coming to visit today and is going to stay a few days. We are so excited. We love having her here (and the extra set of hands sure is nice)!
.
Abby with Collins the day he was born.
..

2. We've spent a good bit of time away from home lately. Collins rides so well in the car (he sleeps) that it is easy to pack up and go to my parent's house for a few days when Michael is on call or has to work a lot. Well, Michael was off of work this past weekend so we loaded up and went to Michael's parents house. His mom snapped this cute photo of the two of them playing on the living room floor.
.
3. And since some of you have asked for more photos--- here is one of my favorites from a couple of weeks ago.
.

I can't believe Collins is already 2 months old (tomorrow). He had his 8 week appointment last week where he received 4 shots. Not fun. He weighed in a 12 lbs. 6 oz. Growing boy!
.
4. Shopping Hiatus. Remember when Paula posted about hers last year? I'm on one for the month of August. My mom and I are doing it together. I've been spending too much money and buying things that I/we don't need. So I'm committing to not shopping for the month. I have a few exceptions that I will list below. Not that you want/need to know... I am just trying to hold myself accountable and what better way than to publish it on the WWW? I am only allowing myself to buy groceries as well as the needed baby items. Besides that--- nothing. We'll see how it goes.
.
a. large circular punch from Hobby Lobby (to help with sticker/gift tag orders)
b. fabric and t-shirt to make birthday gift for my nephew who turns 2 this month
c. photos and photo book from shutterfly. I need to stay caught up on printing photos of Collins- plus I have 50% codes for both of these.
d. fabric or covers to protect pillows in living room (see below- I need help)
.
*I have pillows on my wing backs that I made with Dwell napkins and used a 20" feather insert for the pillow. The feathers poke through and drive me crazy. Not only are they uncomfortable to rest your back on with the feathers poking you--- but they get everywhere. Same goes for my rectangular pillows on my sofa. Have any of y'all had this problem? What have you done about it?
.
I was thinking about undoing the dwell napkins and covering the pillow insert in some type of thicker fabric and then putting the pillow back together. I have some new fabric (zigzag from post below- already purchased!) for my sofa pillows... but I need to protect the inserts before sewing up the fabric so I don't run into this same problem. Maybe I should look for some type of protective cover that will help with the feather problem? Any thoughts/ideas/help would be much appreciated!
.
*Thanks to Kristen's comment--- I found this.

21 comments:

Stephanie Sabbe said...

Collins is so sweet. I need to take a shopping hiatus! But I'm not ready yet:) We had that problem with a pillow on our bed and I threw it away.But it was a little bit of an extreme case. I'm not sure why some of them do that?

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

Your little boy is precious! Enjoy the sweet little moments you have with him...they grow up so fast! I need to take a shopping hiatus! I am off to read Paula's post about it so I can get myself motivated to do it :)

Brandi said...

Good luck on the shopping hiatus. I have done that before and after the initial hump it was super easy and I loved having extra $ in my bank account. It also helped me find new outfits to put together with pieces I already owned. Collins is adorable!

Kristen said...

I always have this problem with my inexpensive pillow covers. You need to buy some ticking (not ticking-look.. . actual ticking) fabric and make "underwear" for your pillows. This will keep the feathers inside and then you can use any fabric you want for the covers!

Design Esquire said...

Your baby is seriously the cutest thing. I love the spending hiatus idea. I need to do that myself.

mary-kathryn said...

i had the same problem, i have 4 euro pillows on my sofa with thin linen covers on them. I felt like a mad woman always gathering the feathers. i searched everywhere for a liner, or some solution and finally gave up and bought new Euros... which are not nearly as squishy, but practicality took over. In fact, i still find feathers lurking around the room nearly two months later....

Julie Holloway said...

I bet when y'all were little people used to say you & your sis were twins! She is a doll, too.

So it sounds like you want to keep the current pillow covers...you are liking the look? (they are pretty). If there is an outlet near you, you could buy two pillow covers from PB outlet (I just got some last week) and they were so cheap, about $10 and thick cotton duck. You could use something like that? Or, go to hobby lobby and buy new, non-down inserts? (I do love the gushiness of down, though) Julie

Catherine said...

I'm no help on the pillows, but that baby sure is cute. He looks a little more like Michael in that picture. :) Hmmm, it seems i've been on a shopping hiatus for about 6 months....way too long! :)

A Country Farmhouse said...

Your sweet baby is adorable. Have fun with your sister!
xoTrina

LindsB said...

yeah for your sister coming to help out! All those photos of Collins are so cute!!

Hill Country House Girl said...

Your baby and your sister are beautiful! I am married to a Michael and know about those call weekends, and endless days of work. It is great that you can load up Collins and go visit your family for company and support. Maybe thicker pillow covers would work, but I have had the same issue with feathers - not willing to give up down inserts yet, though!

Moxie Maley said...

The pictures of Collins are precious!!

paula said...

I can't believe I haven't met him yet! Maybe when your sister leaves I can come by? He is so cute. Michael looks like such a natural. The hiatus is such a good thing, maybe I should do one again. Although this month we had to by Ellies school uniforms, yikes!

Lauren said...

he is so cute oh my goodness!!! love the shopping hiatus idea too.
xoxo,
lauren

Amy said...

I loved the car too as a baby, but instead of having tired parents driving around all night and day, they figured they'd try putting my carseat on the dryer and turning it on, it WORKED! I slept and they didn't have to drive all over VA! It's at least worth a try if you're in a pinch. And Collins is adorable! Good work on the shopping hiatus, we've been doing it for awhile and it's not as hard as it seems. *Amy

bluehydrangea said...

Collin is so cotton picking cute!! I can't stand it!!

Jennifer said...

he is so darn cute! I can't believe it's been two months and I have yet to meet him (well, besides that day in Urban Cookhouse).

I'm having the same issue with my living room pillows. My covers are pretty thick, too! I wanted to take them off to wash them the other day, and I unzipped them to find feathers EVERYWHERE on the inside! So that project was deferred :) Maybe when I decide to deal with that mess I will double up on the covers! Good idea, Julie.

melissa richie said...

your sister looks just like you, and i am glad that you guys have had an easy time traveling when michael is busy. it's nice to have extra hands, and i bet your family loves having you around.

collins is so cute!

Abby Maddox said...

So glad you posted another picture! I want to eat him... ;)

LLH Designs said...

I have the exact same feather problem. I'm beginning to think my inserts are past the point of saving. I've collected enough stray feathers to fill a whole new pillow!

Pulling those pokey feathers out is kind of addictive...have you noticed?

Have a greets week!
Linsey

PS - i like your clean and classic announcement!

LLH Designs said...

Oops! Meant to say: have a GREAT week!

Post a Comment