Cake & Roast

10.21.2010

Sorry if you aren't into the food posts.... I will be back with design posts next week!
.
Yesterday I met Doug for lunch at Olexa's in Mountain Brook Village. It is my favorite lunch spot in Birmingham. The food is great but the vanilla buttercream cake is heavenly. I mean it. The.best.cake.ever. They even heat it for just a few seconds before bringing it out to you so it melts in your mouth.

And if you are thinking... does she always eat out- the answer is no. I actually cook most every night of the week (with the exception of Tuesday night being Michael's birthday). Last night we had this:

roast
homemade mac and cheese
butterbeans
cornbread

I love roast for dinner. You put it in the oven at 8 a.m.- take it out at 6 p.m.- and dinner is ready. Recipes can be found here. Hope you enjoy! BTW--- I'm no food photographer... the meal tasted much better than these photos look!

18 comments:

Julie Holloway said...

what a heavenly meal. Okay, I have never done a roast but you've inspired me. (I love the food posts)

Bryn said...

Amazing meal! I would absolutely love the recipe for each one of these items!

Bryn said...

Oh duhhh now I see the link. THANK YOU! I told hub we are having mac n cheese this weekend so I'll have to try this recipe.

Susie (So Blessed) said...

As wonderful as that dinner looks, I'd pass on it to have a piece of Olexa's cake! Yum.yum.yum!

Love you, Mom

La Maison Fou said...

Sounds great!
Roasts in the crock pot are a fallish / winter staple. Add a small can of coke and the roast has never tasted so tender.
L.

The Mama, The Wife, The StoryTeller... said...

oh, olexa's!! you are right dear...BEST cake ever! i'm thinking a trip for some quiche, salad & cake will be coming soon :)

Jennifer said...

my mouth is watering! and just the thought of the bread pudding at Olexa's gives me a sugar rush ... YUM.

No.35style said...

oh that looks sooo good! i must try the mac n cheese soon!

Lila said...

I'm a sweet junkie, therefore, that cake has my mouth drooling! I love buttercream!
xoxo
Lila Ferraro

Stephanie Sabbe said...

yum! I'm inspired

carolina postcard said...

That white cake has my mouth watering. And they warm it up a bit?! Good grief. And I'm saving the roast recipe - good comfort food far the fall! xo

Lauren said...

it looks delish!!

Amy said...

I cooked a roast today. The food looks great! Have a good weekend!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Popped in at the right time. I am making your dinner tomorrow night. Just bought a roast this afternoon. Looks so good,but I'm most excited about the Mac & cheese- looks so much better than what comes out of the blue box!!!! I'll be back to let you know how it all turns out!!

paula said...

love olexas and their cakes. I also adore your cooking :)

Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

DANG! You'll have to post recipes! That cake looks divine!

susanj said...

i used to live in birmingham and had completely forgotten about that divine cake from Olexa's. now i need to make a trip up for some cake!

Melissa said...

Looks delicious!

Post a Comment