Kitchen Overhaul by Abode Love

3.18.2011

Hello all of you people who LOVE abodes! I am Laurel-Dawn from Abode Love and I am here to share my kitchen remodel with all of you! (Thanks for the feature Brooke!) So fasten your seatbelt and get ready to see my skank-tastic kitchen become lovely. (and a LOT less granola-ish... this girl doesn't like granola!)



Check out that gorgeous light fixture-- Also, don't you just love how I didn't use primer?! I should have used primer... the deep brown looked purple for far too many coats of paint... live and learn!




After painting the walls it was much better-- but it was still just too dark for my taste. 

Now it was time to paint those skank cabinets! It was a really long process- but completely worth it.


Colonel Dad coming over to begin demo on the backsplash.

kitchen backsplash and countertops being gutted... read more about this here

skank countertops gone... backsplash gone... sheetrock gone by default...

new granite and sink! I got a GREAT deal on this DEEP and beautiful sink on Overstock.com!

I added about 3 inches to the overhang on our bar to gain more counter space and make the bar seating more comfortable. I would have liked to add another foot- but without support, I didn't want to take the chance. Also- the island isn't made of solid wood... these cabinets are mostly particle board... and granite is hea-vy. All that said, I'm content with an extra 3 inches.
fab-faucet installed... (also an unbelievable steal!) read more about this here
 new hardware! bye bye knobs! read more about the kitchen hardware here
 Colonel Dad laying down tile, I chose a white porcelain tile in a lovely moroccan style shape. I love that it's simple in color and finish, but special because of the interesting shape!  read more about tiling here

tile placed... now waiting for grout and lighting...

me applying grout - read more about this here

 ready to sponge!

cleaned up- ready for lighting- grout done. 

Colonel Dad starting in on the under cabinet lighting

after the under cabinet lighting was installed, we did ONE last thing to the kitchen/dining area....

 

Ta-Da!

The under cabinet lighting is the icing on the cake! I really love how much it brightens the backsplash- it makes the space look larger than it actually is!

 Here is a view from the living room

I really love the West Elm Andalusia runner- it really brightens up the space

 I painted the island gray to mix it up a bit- I wanted a custom feel, and I didn't want the space to be overwhelmed with cream cabinetry.

Here's the dining nook... I love the cowhide rug addition, the Pottery Barn chandelier adds glamour to the space- and also notice that I painted the ceiling a warm, metallic gold to warm up the space and tie in the golds and browns that are seen in the tile on the floor... read more about the surprise cowhide addition here.

The center mirror is gorgeous, right? It's from Wisteriaand I couldn't be happier with my purchase. When I planned for this wall of mirrors, I really wanted to be able to hang artwork or mirrors on the wall- so, framing it in was my best option! 
I thought about doing the pattern in squares, but I really love the center mirrors being large- I feel like it opens up the space more that if it were divided. I love that this little, dark nook has turned into a shiny, glittering space! The chandelier's reflection adds even more light and sparkle to the space-- it feels MUCH larger now- don't you love that a mirror can give you extra faux square footage? I do!

 The mirror in the center also breaks up all the vertical lines with something that feels much more organic and natural. 

 This image really shows off the metallic ceiling that I painted almost a year ago!


some of these fresh "after" shots were taken around Christmas... which is why there are stockings hung with care...


So THAT was my kitchen's before and after! I am so happy to be visiting all of you today- please stop by Abode Love and say hello! Have a wonderful day abode lovers!

and now, just a little reminder of how the kitchen began...
I had wanted to add mirrors to this small space for years now-- and I finally did it (with help of course!) Read about the process here


7 comments:

christine {bijouandboheme} said...

What a transformation!!! I absolutely love love the gold ceiling and mirrors in the dining nook. And the kitchen is just all around fabulous- great great job!!

Chic Coles said...

Wow what a transformation.The girls and I can not believe the change.We love the new back slash so new and different.And of course the stripe wall and also the mirror wall.Just a great job.

Ms. Bright said...

Spectacular transform! I'm dying over that tile backsplash!! LOVE! And I love you for using "skank" to describe the befores...you sound like me!

b.Frank said...

What an amazing transformation!! I love the dark walls with the light cabinetry and even more the mirror in the dining nook!

Fine Bar Stools said...

Amazing work guys!
But please, change your bar stools...
Your home looks way to good to keep using the one you have!!

Katy said...

My GOD. I'm in love. The cabinet hardware is wonderful - those little touches really make the space. Fantastic job!

Julie said...

looks so good! love it.

Post a Comment