snippets of my house

6.28.2012

*Several of you have commented or emailed asking about the rug below in my playroom. It's the diamond jute rug from West Elm that they no longer carry!

I'd like to thank those of you who have emailed to check in and to ask for more photos of my house. It has actually inspired me to start working on it again. And a few of you emailed regarding this post asking what I was going to do with all of those Ikea frames. Well... here are a couple of things that I did. First... I framed this Michelle Armas print (would LOVE an original one day) and hung it in the wet bar:

Next... I got out a can of spray paint and transformed these to a metallic bronze:

And then framed some simple pieces of handmade paper.

I hung them in the short hall leading to the powder bath. Will these stay here forever... probably not. But it's a cheap way to have something on the walls until I can do something else!

Speaking of the powder bath... I found this piece last week at the Flea Market. It found it's home in the powder bath and I love the height and storage it provides. Sorry for the glare... cafe curtains are on the list. My list is lllooonnnggg.....

*Ignore the mirror below.... I've yet to paint it. One day, one day....

If you follow me on instagram I aplogize that you've probably seen all of these images. But most of the pics of my boys are taken in the playroom and several of you (LEB!) have asked to see pics of it. It's the most used room in the house... where we watch tv, read books, play with trucks, color, etc. It's the room you walk in from the side of the house and the garage.... into here. This small back entry has the pine bookshelf that used to be in my living room in Birmingham. I removed the lower two shelves, added a vertical piece to divide it, and added some hooks to make it into lockers (aka: our dumping ground):




Moving towards the kitchen... here are a couple of snippets from where I've moved things around a bit.


Keeping it real... missing a caster below and it's sitting on a can of shoe polish. Classy.

More on the kitchen... here are the fabrics that I am about to order for the cafe curtains, window/banquette cushions, and the headboard for my banquette:

Ok... I think that's enough random stuff for one day. I'll be back soon with more Ikea frames. I hope to hang some this weekend on the big wall at the top of our stairs. I'm writing this to hold myself accountable!

25 comments:

sarah, flourish design + style said...

I LOVE seeing your gorgeous home.. your details are just incredible!! xo

Kira Amolsch Mayrides said...

Thanks for the update, Brooke! Love what you did with the Ikea frames and cannot wait to see all those fabrics get put to good use in your kitchen!

Natalie said...

fabulous! house sneak peaks are the best

Marianne said...

It looks beautiful! Always love seeing your updates. Can't wait to see your cafe curtains! xo

Kasey McKay said...

the powder room is gorgeous. and i'm loving the fabric selections....can't wait to see it finished!

Shannon said...

I love the update and the photos! It looks amazing! Would you mind sharing where you found your playroom rug?

Shannon said...

PS - I LOVED see what you did with all the frames! Thank you!

lizziefitz said...

I love all the snippets! It is so real how it doesn't happen over night. I get a chance to really appreciate the details when you post the process. Thanks for sharing:)))

Michelle said...

Looks really nice. Love that you hung your print vertically, nice touch :)

Julie said...

Just gorgeous, Brooke! It's been fun following you on Instagram and seeing all the progress. I die for your guest bath - amazing!

Doug Davis said...

breezeway thing between Playroom and Garage looks great, I don't think I've ever seen a pic. Glad you kept the board and batten walls!

Interior Design Musings said...

Totally love the framed paper trick! And such a transformation to pain them gold. Also, adore how clever you were to turn those bookshelves into lockers!!! That idea I'm filing in the back of my brain for an affordable mudroom solution! Your house is looking great - can't wait to see me! M.

designchic said...

It all looks so good and love the idea of spray painting the IKEA frames gold. The piece you got for the powder bath is fabulous...love the idea of adding a chest rather than having a built in!!

paula said...

Brooke its all quite stunning!!! Love the paper idea too. Have been working on a office and needed a graphic element on a tight budget. This will be perfect!

Katie Waddell said...

Love these updates!! FYI Home Decorators has a diamond jute rug that is pretty similar.... http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Diamond_Jute_Area_Rug/820/

Maria at inredningsvis.se said...

GREAT POST:) Your blog is so wonderful...Do you have twitter or fb to follow with??

If you want some cute swedish decor inspiration...check out my new post:)

Have a great week.

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
(sweden)

a' la mode said...

I am in love with it all. so fun to watch!! xoxo

Sarah's Fab Day said...

Love the new piece in your powder bath! Totally makes it.

crisangsteninteriors.com said...

Everything is looking GREAT. Love your creative artwork - and so jealous of the new piece in the powder bath. I wanted one like that years ago in my Florida house, but never found one the right size :-( Lovely, I'll just live vicariously...

carolina postcard said...

oh my gosh, that bathroom? the wood paneling, the sconces, the chest… love! you say you have a long list, but it looks just awesome so far. Oh and I may steal the spraying your ikea frames idea. I bought a ton, but was feeling the all white might be a little much everywhere. Happy Friday!

heronkady said...

Thank you for this post!

www.magshop.us

A Lived in Home said...

Love Michelle Armas and would love an original as well! Cute blog! I'm a new follower now!

Sunitha said...

I liked the rug in your living room. Is it a jute one? Then it is easy to clean. For my woolen rug I sought the help of carpet cleaning agoura hills. Their service was excellent.

Sara Pawelka said...

I'm loving this blog!! What's the color in the powder room? Thanks for sharing and inspiring!!

Sarah Leary said...

Hi Brooke - my friend Stephanie Sabbe sent me this link. Love your house! She's helping me design a kitchen and powder bath and I was wondering if you know what floor stain you have on your wood floors in the bathroom? thank you!

Post a Comment