book reviews

2.05.2014

Who doesn't love a good book? I am often asked to write reviews on design books that are new to the market. I am always careful about which ones I select and I do not agree to write about just any new book. I've learned from my collection of design books to appreciate so many different types of design. There is always something you can learn from or appreciate in every photo in every book. 

First up is The English Country House written by James Peill, photographed by James Fennell, and the forward was written by Jullian Fellowes (the creator of Downton Abbey- my favorite show). This book focuses on ten beautiful British country houses all of which showcase amazing architecture, gardens, and interior details. Although all of the images in this book are beautiful in their own way, I had to choose a few of my favorites to share with you:




Published by The Vendome Press :: Photography  by James Fennell

Next up on my list is Howard Slatkin's book Fifth Avenue Style with photography by Tria Giovan Mr. Slatkin takes us through a fabulous renovation of his apartment on Fifth Avenue. While my first thought was that this book was too 'fancy' for me, I quickly realized that I could appreciate the details that were found on each page. 




One of my very favorite things was this detailed illustration of the apartment floor plan.

Published by The Vendome Press:: Photography  by Tria Giovan

Beyond Chic was one of those books that I dove into the moment that I received it. It's in this book that you can view the remarkable homes of iconic people in fashion such as Chanel's apartment and Giorgia Armani's chalet!  Photographer Ivan Terestchenko does a wonderful job of  showcasing the homes of these legendary designers.


You could probably guess that I love the simplicity of this space!


And last but surely not least is Brian J. McCarthy's new book Luminous Interiors. This book is full of beautiful design projects that will take you through Brian's creative process which make his plans become reality. I learned that Brian is very passionate about collecting art and furniture, and for one project in the book, took his clients on a grand tour throughout western Europe—a total of 35 trips in 5 years—to scout for the perfect pieces. 



Photographer: Fritz von der Schulenburg

The bronze crocodile consoles below sure make a statement (and I'm sure are a great conversation piece)!
Photographer: Max Kim-Bee 

 While I love a subtle bedroom, I was immediately drawn to this beautiful antique suzani on the bed.
Photographer: Francesco Lagnese

© Luminous Interiors, Stewart, Tabori & Chang, 2013

1 comment:

paula said...

Just what I need another design book! I am so addicted to them.

Post a Comment